Tuesday, June 11, 2019

Install latest Java 8 on raspbian

This is a post by BartB at brodzinski.net that explains how to install latest Java 8 on raspbian.

I’m always looking for this commands when I need to install latest Java 8 JDK on my RPi, so I’m adding them here just in case I’ll need to use them again.

Unfortunately default Raspbian repository contains old Java version 1.8.0_65-b17 while the latest (when I’m writing this post) is 1.8.0_151-b12.

Installation

First install dirmngr:

sudo apt-get install dirmngr

Second add deb repositories and key:

echo "deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/webupd8team/java/ubuntu trusty main" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/webupd8team-java.list

echo "deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/webupd8team/java/ubuntu trusty main" | sudo tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list.d/webupd8team-java.list

sudo apt-key adv --keyserver hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com:80 --recv-keys EEA14886

Warning! If you add xentail repositories (as many RPi forums and other pages state) you’ll end up with old 1.8.0_65 version, you must be using trusty repositories in order to install latest Java version.

Update repositories:

sudo apt-get update

Install Java installer:

sudo apt-get install oracle-java8-jdk

Verify Java version

To be 100% sure I have proper version of Java I use basic command:

java -version

Remove old Java

In case you have old Java 8 JDK

sudo apt-get remove --purge oracle-java8-jdk

No comments:

Post a Comment